In keeping with the spirit of change that I seem to be all about this year I’m going to switch this Out N Lou post up a little bit. Beginning this weekend I’ll be including what I’m most looking forward to + giving a little reasoning behind why I’m excited about it. With the weather being in the 40s and 50s this weekend, and no chances of rain we’d all better get out there and enjoy it while we can.
What I’m Most Looking Forward To
Creative Mornings inaugural speakers series with Alice Gray Stites of 21c Museum Hotels. If you aren’t familiar with Creative Mornings they’re a monthly breakfast lecture series in several cities across the world – Louisville was the 101st city to join the ranks, pretty cool, huh? Every month has a different theme, and this month’s is Ugly. They realize that it may not be pretty, but you’ve got to start somewhere. This months’ talk is all about embracing the ‘ugly’ beginnings of making any vision real.
Registration for Creative Mornings Louisville is already closed – there is a wait list, though – but head on over to the site to create a profile + get an e-mail reminder when registration opens for next month’s series. If you’re in another city you’re still in luck as there will be lectures until January 30th, a full list can be found on their site.
Before it was the ubiquitous term for a night of heavy drinking, Thirsty Thursday had an entirely different meaning. Thursday, January 15, 1920, the original Thirsty Thursday, was the last day to legally purchase alcohol before Prohibition went into effect. Come join The Filson Historical Society as they celebrate the last day of legal alcohol sales with a tasting of “Old G.D. Bourbon.”
- Boozing runs from 6 pm – 7:30 pm at Evan Williams Bourbon Experience. Tickets cost $100 and can be purchased here.
Varanese Restaurant, located at 2106 Frankfort Avenue, will host the “Russell’s Reserve Bourbon Dinner” on Thursday, January 15, with a reception at 6:30pm and dinner at 7:00pm. The evening will include legendary Master Distiller Jimmy Russell as a guest speaker, and a four-course dinner paired with cocktails made with Russell’s Reserve bourbon.
- Cost is $55 per person, plus tax and gratuity. Reservations are required and can be made by calling (502) 899-9904 or emailing [email protected]om.
Embrace the ugly part of the creative process with Alice Grace Stites of 21c Louisville at Creative Mornings inaugural breakfast lecture series.
- Creative juices flow from 8:30 am until 10 am at 21c Museum Hotel. Registration is currently full, but add yourself to the waitlist.
- Begins at 7 pm, and is free and open to the general public.
The crew at Gralehaus will be tapping the elusive Goose Island Bourbon Co. Stout (2014) and running it through their coffee rocket. They are featuring the coffee beans used to make this years Bourbon Co. Coffee Stout – Intelligentsia Zirikani Rwanda. This coffee is remarkably lush, brimming with flavors of lime zest, black tea and crisp grape in the finish.
- Tapping begins at 8 am, while they are open until 10 pm. Gralehaus will post to Facebook when it is sold out.
Break out your flannels and long-johns and get in free until midnight at Play Louisville‘s Lumberjack & Long-johns Party.
- Cover is $10 after midnight or for those not in costume. Shows are at 10, 12, and 2. Dance floor is open until 4 am.
Get creative with Paper Source at their Wedding and Special Event Workshop. Each participant receives a packet containing a full suite of Luxe white invitation pieces, along with a wedding planner and checklist. This workshop has limited seating RSVP as soon as possible!
- Diving begins at 11 am and runs until 1 pm. Customers receive a coupon for 10% off purchases after the workshop.
Join MAP (Making Acceptance Possible) in celebrating their 5th anniversary at The Vernon Club & Lanes with Dixie Longate and the Derby City Sisters. ALL proceeds go to support Fairness Campaign by helping pave the way for equality.
- The fun begins at 6:30. Tickets range in price from $50-$70, and they can be purchased here.
Celebrate Frazier History Museum’s latest exhibit “Lifestyle of the Rich and Famous” by joining them for an evening of frivolity. Enjoy a cash complete with Guilded Age themed drinks while taking in the rousing tunes of Dixieland Solution.
- Tickets are $15 for non-members and $20 for members. The frivolity lasts from 7 pm until 10 pm.
Wear white and glow under the blacklights at Play Louisville’s Neon Splash Paint Party.
- Tickets are $12 and can be purchased online or at the door. Play Mate shows begin at 10, 12, and 2, with the dance floor staying open until 4 am.