For many reasons I legitimately can’t believe that The Kentucky Derby is just a few short weeks away. Namely because this year is flying by, but also because for the first time ever I’ll be attending Oaks and The Derby – which is cause for celebration in and of itself.
To celebrate that occasion I’ve teamed up with the team at Ale-8-One to share the recipe for their Jubil8 cocktail – their riff on the classic Mint Julep that’s a mainstay this time of the year in Louisville and surrounding areas.Print
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup Ale-8-One
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp. minced ginger
- 2 tsp. Ale-8-One Simple Syrup
- 6–8 mint leaves
- Crushed ice
- 1.5 oz. bourbon
- Combine water, Ale-8-One, sugar, and minced ginger to a stovetop pot.
- Simmer gently for 5-10 minutes until desired consistency is reached.
- Gently muddle simple syrup and mint leave in a silver julep cup.
- Fill cup with crushed ice.
- Add bourbon and fill cup with Ale-8.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint.
- Add more or less water or sugar to reach your desired syrup consistency. Syrup should be thick, not runny.
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by Ale-8-One, but as always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thanks for continuing to support the brands that keep this blog’s lights on!