Bourbon is always my drink of choice, but in a pinch up until the beginning of this year I’d always reach for a beer. And why not. Beer is easy. All you gotta do is pop the top, and you’re enjoying a beverage. Bourbon on the rocks is just as easy, but what if you’re looking for something that packs a little more flavor without costing you a lot of time? Then you’re in luck! Today’s recipe for a Cranberry Old Fashioned is just that.
Old Fashioned cocktails seem like a lot of work, but once you get the ratio of bitters, sugar, and bourbon correct – it’s a cinch. Besides getting the flavors right the other thing I’ve learned about cocktails of this nature is that that they need to be stirred continuously for at least 30 seconds to make sure the liquids are thoroughly cooled making for a refreshing cocktail as well as making sure your drink is cool enough to not melt the ice before you finish drinking.Print
Cranberry Old Fashioned
- 2 sugar cubes
- Splash of water
- Handful of cranberries
- Dash of Angostura Bitters
- 2 oz. bourbon
- Orange twist
- Large ice cube
- Combine sugar cubes, cranberries, splash of water, and bitters in empty rocks glass.
- Muddle until sugar is broken up and cranberries have been softened.
- Add 2 oz. of bourbon and ice, stir for 30 seconds to fully combine.
- Garnish with additional cranberries and orange twist.
Photos by Josh Johnson