- 1 ½ cups hot water
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 4 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. melted unsalted butter
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp. water
- Granulated sea salt
- 12 oz. Goose Island IPA
- 6 oz. evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 cups smoked gouda cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine 1 ½ cups hot water, sugar, and kosher salt in bowl of a stand mixer, whisk to combine.
- Sprinkle packet of dry yeast over mixture in bowl and let yeast activate for at least 5 minutes, or until it begins to foam.
- Add flour and butter, and using the dough hook attachment, mix on a slow speed until thoroughly combined and dough begins to stick to the hook.
- Then turn speed up to medium and continue mixing for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove dough, coat bowl with vegetable oil before returning dough to bowl.
- Cover and let rest for at least an hour.
- Coat two baking sheets with non-stick spray.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Bring 10 cups of water + 2/3 cup of baking soda to boil.
- Once dough has doubled in size transfer to slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equals segments.
- Using your fist pound each segment into a rectangle and roll them into a rod shape.
- Continue rolling each segment until you’ve reached your desired size then shape into a U, grab and twist ends, and fold inward.
- Using a slotted spatula transfer pretzels to the baking soda + water mixture for 30 seconds, transfer to wire rack to dry, continue until complete.
- Whisk egg yolk + 1 tbsp. water and then brush surface of pretzels before dusting with granulated sea salt.
- Transfer pretzels to prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, rotating completely after 7 minutes.
- Combine beer, milk, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring regularly.
- Continue warming until steam begins to roll.
- Slowly add in cheese and stir until combine and melted throughout.
- Salt to taste and serve immediately.