I’m sharing #SausageFamily in my life as part of a Johnsonville sponsored series for Socialstars™.
Hello, everyone! My name is Paige Rhodes and today I’m guest blogging on The Kentucky Gent from my blog, My Modern Cookery, while he is away in India with Anchal Project. Like Josh, I’m lucky enough to call Louisville, Kentucky home and love all things food.
Seeing as the weather right now in Kentucky is still as hot and humid as ever, with no signs of fall on the horizon (except for the sudden availability of the PSL, obviously) grilling is still my number one choice for dinner preparation and Johnsonville Fully Cooked Sausages make that so easy.
Today, I’m sharing my recipe for a go-to pizza in our house – Sausage, Cheddar and Caramelized Onion Grilled Pizza. Grilling pizza is great because it adds a subtle smoky flavor to the crust that you can’t get from the oven. Using Johnsonville Turkey Sausage with Cheddar Links on this pizza brings together all of the flavors of the other ingredients.
I find it’s slightly sweet which pairs wonderfully with the caramelized onions, it’s already smoky (which is perfect with the grilled crust), and since it’s stuffed with cheddar cheese it goes hand in hand with the shredded cheddar on the pizza. This simple recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight when you want something a little different but still family friendly and quick.
- 1 12" prepared pizza crust
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 oz Johnsonville Turkey Sausage with Cheddar Cheese, sliced into rounds
- salt and pepper
- Brush your grill grates with oil to prevent sticking and preheat to medium heat.
- While your grill is heating, prepare your caramelized onions.
- Combine butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. When butter is melted, add onions and toss to coat.
- Check the onions every 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 30 minutes they should be a nice golden brown with a sweet flavor. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn off your stove and set aside.
- When your grill is preheated, transfer pizza crust to oiled grates and grill for 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove crust from the grill and spread on 1/4 cup of tomato paste. On top of that, sprinkle cheddar cheese then caramelized onions. Evenly place turkey sausage rounds over the whole pizza and return it to the grill.
- Close the lid and cook until cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from the grill and allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Follow My Modern Cookery on Instagram
“Like” the My Modern Cookery Facebook Page